by Nate Haug on September 27, 2006 // Short URL

Free GPL Icons - Lullacons Pack 1

Lullabot is proud to present a completely original, completely free iconset: Lullacons Pack 1!

The Iconset

Lullacons Pack 1 includes 113 icons. These general purpose icons fill a basic need in the Drupal (and the open-source community) for visual reinforcement of textual content. Though we intend to use these in Drupal, feel free to use them in any project!

icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon
icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon
icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon
icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon
icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon
icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon
icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon
icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon
icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon icon
iconiconiconicon iconiconiconicon iconiconiconicon iconiconiconicon

These icons are made to work on any background and in any browser. (Note the 32x32 large icons only work well on lighter backgrounds). They are in 8-bit PNG format, with 1-bit transparency. Worry not about IE compatibility, which has full support for 1-bit transparency in PNGs. IE/Win only does not support alpha-transparency in 24-bit PNGs (but will be supported in IE7). If that was over your head, don't worry. Just rest easy knowing that these icons work in any browser.

License

Free free free. Not only are you allowed to use these icons for any purpose, you're also granted access to the original Photoshop .psd files. These are licensed under the GNU General Public License. This license means that you are granted full rights to modify the icons however you feel. However, if you use these icons or the source files as the base for your own new icons or iconset, you also must make your modified source files available upon request. If you're feeling particularly generous, we'd love to publicly host your derivatives of the Lullacons along with the originals.

Contributing

If you're using Lullacons in your own project and have made custom changes or new variants, we'd love to include them here! You can contact nate@lullabot.com. Be sure to read the Lullabot guide to new icon creation.

Download

icon Download Lullacons Pack 1

Nate Haug

Senior Drupal Architect

Want Nate Haug to speak at your event? Contact us with the details and we’ll be in touch soon.

Comments

FGM

Semantic hints

Very nice. Now all that will be missing will be guidelines as to the situations in which to use them: the file names provide a first level of guidance, but there can be semantics issues: for instance, is a folder open icon meant to describe an already open folder, the action to open a closed folder, or both ?

moshe weitzman

thanks

sweet gift. thanks all.

so, whats the plan for drupal core and icons? we still have time for usability improvements. i'm happy to help.

Ryan

Excellent resource...

Thanks for compiling this! I'll be sure to link to it from a couple different sites. Thinking I'm going to make use of the different colored users to extend the flatforum module w/ user ranks (based on posts). Should be good fun!

The pencil on paper would be good for a forum "quote" icon, and of course the mail will be handy for dropping in a contact link on forum posts. We'll see what else I can think of... thanks again!

Ryan

Additional icons...

In case it helps others... I'm keeping a running post of icons I'm modifying and adding to the set at my development site:

Right now it's a "full" shopping cart and a much needed up arrow. ;)

nate

Sweet Icons! We're working

Sweet Icons! We're working compiling an additional article on creating more compatible icons with the original Photoshop files, which will be released shortly. After all, it's not really GNU if there's no available source-'code'.

GIMP xcf will be great

It will be great, since I'm using GIMP instead of Photoshop. I'm sure many Linux users will love this as well (as Photoshop isn't available in Linux?)

nate

Future Plans for Icons in Drupal

We (at Lullabot) haven't had too much discussion over where these icons will ultimately live. I think there is a good chance that they will make their way into the Zen Theme which we hope to get at least pieces of into Drupal core. FGM make a good point that we should define guidelines on where use of these icons is appropriate for usability and consistency.

JanC

license

> Free free free. Not only are you allowed to use these icons
> for any purpose, you're also granted access to the original
> Photoshop .psd files. These are licensed under the GNU
> General Public License. This license means that you are
> granted full rights to modify the icons however you feel.
> However, if you use these icons or the source files as the
> base for your own new icons or iconset, you also must make
> your modified source files available upon request. If you're
> feeling particularly generous, we'd love to publicly host
> your derivatives of the Lullacons along with the originals.

That sounds more like the LGPL (or similar licenses), not the GPL.

IMHO the GPL would "infect" the licensing of the source of every program or the content of every web page that one uses the icons in...

newbie

I was looking for some icons

I was looking for some icons to put in a web proyect we are working in... non comercial, free for all... maybe you have solved our problems. Thanks! Continue your great labour!

Pablo

License

Hello,
I saw the license and I noticed a contradiction between what you say and the GPL license. If you license with GPL all the applications that use your icons MUST release their source code (all the source code not only modified icons).
All derivative work from your icons must be released with source code with GPL license.
I suggest to change the license to LGPL: this license lets users use your icons within their applications without releasing the application source code. An alternative is just say: this icons are free but modificated icons must be sent here.

Regards,
Pablo

Gordon

Additional Buttons

Hi,

a good addition to the icon pack would be a tick and and cross. I can never find these.

Max Sjögren

Created a new

Hi

I downloaded and use this in an internal project. I couldn't find an icon för detailed listing so I modified the movie icon.

Since this is GPL (which I love) I want to send you guys the icon so you can include it if you find it usefull.

The problem is I don't know where to send it.

Can you provide an email address or something so I can send it.

Sincerely
Max ;)

nate

Contributing back

Just leaving a comment should be good enough in most cases. Leave your email in the form (it's not made available publicly), and we'll contact you! Or just use the site contact form http://www.lullabot.com/contact.

Be sure to have ready both the .png and .psd versions of your files. Thanks!

iex

Install?

The only thing i can't get is how to install them on my site?

Tobias

Some further icons for other file types

Hi,

I am an open source developer. Thanks for these good tiny icons. I would like to see some more for other file types, especially for xml, xsl, xsd and css.

How can we achive this? Should I create my own ones and post it back to you to get them into this package or could you provide these ones shortly?

Please contact me.

Thanks.

Tobias

another "thanks"

because of you and other people, i intend to make EVERYTHING on my site available for free under the GPL.

Tony

So I hear (From your site)

So I hear (From your site) you enjoy Ben Folds. Also got a feed to this ("icons" and "gpl" caused me to *click*)

Splendid work. A great addition to minimalist designers who want to incorporate teensy visual cues.

Alex White

Cool sets!!! Who wants

Cool sets!!!

Who wants another nice set of high quality icons, please welcome!)))
Here is one nice set of FREE LED Icons:

h t t p ://led24.de/iconset/
It`ll be good if you put it to your collection!
And for all: enjoy it! I`ll be glad!
Best wishes!

P.S. It`ll be great if you save my link to LED Icons ;)